market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gra...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gra...
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 16:31:13 -0400

Phil,
I gotta say you sound cynical as hell.  I can tell you right now that at 59 I have only been farming for under 5 years and I'm strictly organic and your perspective has little connection to today's program. I got a house and there are very few restrictions on this program and the ones there are have not caused me any grief or cost me any money. In fact my production went up considerably as has my income. I am aggressively growing food 12 months a year in my houses and have no overbearing guidelines from the NRCS.
The ONLY things they mandate in my area are things I'd do anyway. Erosion control and record keeping. I've read some posts that referred to a number of rules and regs that simply don't apply in my state
I can only speak about my experience but this program has the potential to help alot of farmers and has and that includes those who did not get one of these houses. I am cofident that when they eventually publish their findings that a lot of folks will consider HT growing to improve their bottom line.
The idea that a gov program is necessarily an imposition rings hollow for me.
Not sure how you cut profits 200%.
Todd Lister
Vesta Ga