market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Square up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <marketfarmshoptalk AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Square up
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:16:49 -0500

That works, Vern!  Our market installed an ATM in the market last year.  My husband is still up there and sells there, and says it gets lots of use.  This could be an alternative for those of you with more organized markets--talk them into installing an ATM (no cellphone needed ; ))

Another alternative (though as has been pointed out isn't perfect), is to get customers to "prepay" by sending you money through PayPal.  If the customer regularly spends $10 at your stand, offer this as a suggestion/alternative.  We had several customers who did this and it worked out great.  On the weeks when there was a credit due, they absolutely refused to accept a refund or credit on the next week's purchase ; )).  It can also be set up as a subscription very easily through PayPal, and set to take money from the customer on a regular basis, from every week to once a month to once a year.  We had a few on this setup too, almost like a weekly CSA.  This too is best done with a separate bank account because of potential hackers/fraud, but it is an alternative.  (And yes I know there are those of you who just don't want to deal with anything but good old cash : )), & I agree, but customers are more demanding now so anything that gives you an edge (without too much difficulty) should at least be considered.

Liz Pike