market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tine weeder in clay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tine weeder in clay
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:37:37 -0500

Hi Don,

There are several different makes and models of tine weeders - Lely, Kovar,
and Einbock are some of the common one around here. The size of tines, angle
of tines, and tine spacing all vary, as well as how they are mounted and how
you adjust the angle and down pressure. I've used one on fairly heavy clay
with good results, though they won't shatter a crust as well as a rotary
hoe. (If you can't scuff a weed out with the toe of your boot, a tine weeder
isn't going to touch it either.)Some models have the option of raising
individual tines or sections of tines to pass over rows. You need to find a
model designed for the soil and the crops you're working with.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Wallbridge
Songberry Organic Farm