market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Square up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Square up
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:47:13 -0500

You've hit the same wall I have. I have a TracFone for calling from market
and communicating with young employees. $99/year is more than I use. Folks
here suggested some and I did a good bit of looking.

The least expensive I found, and would go for it, but we aren't within
Sprint data coverage area, is Virgin Mobile. $25/month "unlimited", which
folks on this list said is about 5.5 GB. I have been warned that they are
changing their plans, and they don't grandfather in non-contract plans.

The next best was also suggested on this list is Pagepluscellular.com using
the Verizon network
TalknText 1200 $29.95/mo 1200 min voice, 1200 texts, 50 MB data
If go over 50 MB, costs 60 cents/MB
Standard Plan, 4 cents to 10 cents/minute voice usage, added data is
$1.20/MB (25 MB would cost $29.95)
One list member said they think it costs about 8 cents to do a credit card
transaction on the Standard plan.

My predicament is that I would really like to try to use the upcoming
AgSquared via cell phone while in the field. I might actually get info
entered that way. Don't know how much "usage" that will entail.

Either way, there is also the cost of the Android or Iphone, and I
discourage my employee from having their cell phones even turned on in the
field because bees apparently don't like cell phones, so then I'd be having
a cell phone on.

Oh, and a Radio Shack guy said AT&T has the fastest data network, even up in
our rural area (no 4G here).

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and
geese

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe