market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:55:59 -0500

Jay

locallygrown.net is one of several similar services, most are for free, some offer more some less some for a charge others not.  Another example is Local Dirt (localdirt.com).

We have played around with at least four of these and find them all cumbersome to mesh with our system.  The ones that track inventory and plot deliveries are the best out there.  It sort of just replaces what we currently have.   Right now I send direct emails to the chefs and wholesale buyers rather than worry about a "middleman".  I have spread sheets in excel that track all the data and I use Google maps (their click and drag way points helps in this regard) to plot my initial deliveries so everything is taken in on one of two days.

A group of us here in Cincinnati met in the winter of 2010 and discussed this.  Everyone ended up going their own separate ways.

I run my whole system off a Mac and when you combine it with mobile me a handheld device (iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone) it makes it a pretty solid system.  In the end though I have chefs that have a hard time getting a chance to call in an order much less go to a website, logon, review what we have, and then place an order.

Others may have a difference experience though.  As tech based as it sounds most of our orders are either done via email or by cell phone ordering from an email that was sent them at the beginning of the week.  This also allows me to customize what certain chefs can order, which can be important too.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855