market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 00:09:20 -0500

Thanks for the input for my upcoming meeting.
Here's our situation: We sell at the Abingdon, VA market, where these
chefs shop. So they see what we have in variety and quality week
after week. They ask us to grow more of certain items, and at times
we'll hold an item for them that's in short supply (such as lettuce
and mache now). The meeting on Tues is to help us in ordering seed,
as we ask the chefs how we can better partner with them in 2011,
specifically what vegetables, what amounts, and when during the
season. We growers will say how much (or little) of what we can try
to grow this year, weather permitting.

As for setting up orders, I usually Email them several days before the
pickup with what I have. Depending on the chef, I may need to follow
that up with a phone call or second Email. Then their order is
prepackaged for pickup at the Tues or Sat market, or I deliver it
during off season. Since they come to me and other vendors, no
minimum order needed.

During the off-season, trick with a minimum order is that with
veggies, it's tough for chefs at these small restaurants to commit to
$100 or $50 worth of high end veggies. So I have no minimum, but I
try to coordinate deliveries while on other business in town.

There is one chef who will Email the day, even eve, before market.
That account is worth maintaining, so I welcome it.

Being my first full year of selling to chefs (though my third at
market), we're still learning. We broke into this last winter because
we offered our products to the coordinator of a local fundraising
dinner, that featured local foods. Have learned not to take these
relationships lightly, it's based on what have we done for a chef
lately. We give samples to chefs and restaurant owners, both at
market and at their restaurants. Sometimes creates sales, sometimes
not, but it keeps us in contact.

Richard Moyer
SW VA
Preparing seed orders for E&R, Fedco, High Mowing, Territorial and SESE

  • Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs, Richard Moyer, 12/20/2010