market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Brabo <mdbrabo AT att.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:30:43 -0600

Richard,

I was encouraged to see how you are working with others in meeting the needs of chefs in your area.  I hope your meeting on Tuesday is beneficial to all involved.

I wholeheartedly agree with the other comments already made... especially the fact "If you are not careful they can dollar you to death."

Here are some things that we've found to be helpful in working with chefs/restaurants.

Education!  Yes, it takes time, effort and dollars yet it has been well worth it for us.  We have narrowed our focus to working with a few select chefs that are committed to local, seasonal, sustainable, organic/certified naturally grown produce, fruits and meats.  It was music to my ears to recently hear an executive chef admonish his sous-chef for asking me about availability of tomatoes in January. He said indignantly, "I will not allow a fresh tomato in January in any of my restaurants!"

Here are some of the steps we've taken to build trust, educate and collaborate with chefs, restaurants and other local producers:  The result has been a win-win situation.

* Independent restaurants are much easier to work with than the big chain establishments.  Issues with big-chain restaurants: Pricing, delivery (Sysco mentality), 45-90 days to be paid, want produce out of season.

* Give them copies or encourage them to rent the documentary "Food, Inc".  Last year one chef was so moved after viewing it, he gave his entire staff a copy for Christmas.

* Provide chefs a CSA share or weekly sampling for their own families/staff.  Good chef/restaurant customers get FREE samples or a discount on Thanksgiving turkeys for their families.

* Use restaurants as CSA pick up points.  Provides a weekly education for chefs and CSA members alike.  CSA members interact with restaurant staff for recipe ideas and can eat what we produce in the restaurant.  Also saves fuel and time.

* Assist chefs in establishing herb gardens for their own use and immediate neighbors.  Chefs talk...  they'll tell other chefs how you serve them.

* Give them several seed catalogs.  Tell them to carefully read the descriptions and growing information.  Tomatoes in January here in Missouri is neither practical nor sustainable. They will learn themselves that Microgreens from planting to harvest in 3 days is impossible.

* Give them or encourage chefs to buy copies of Elliot Coleman's books. Especially his "Winter Harvest Handbook".  Last week seed germinated in our High Tunnels with day temps in teens and single digit night temps.  Coleman's methods work!

* Offer a partnership - Allow chefs/restaurants to invest in high tunnels for your farm and you will grow for them year round as conditions allow.  Three weeks ago we finished and are now growing in 3 new 20' x 60' HTs for three different chefs/restaurants.  Build them with labor and $$$ provided by chefs and their staff.

* Sweat equity!  Great to see chefs sweat outside a kitchen.  Encourage them to plant, weed, harvest & taste.  They were able to see first hand why our tomatoes were nearly wiped out from heavy rains this season.  Then they were willing to pay more for what we did have available.

*  As a bonus from having chefs tour our fields I learned that they will pay for our farm's "wild" (read WEEDS) foraged items like wood sorrel, wild onion in our pasture and lamb's quarter.

* We encourage them to come out on the farm to help with livestock.  We invite them to assist with lambing, tagging, castrating, egg washing, butchering, etc.  When they experience for themselves the labor involved they understand the VALUE of our premium pricing.

* Get them out to the farm by rewarding chefs and their staff.  Celebrate!  Invite them out to the farm for a special chef/staff only event to taste and experience what you produce.  Sometimes we just serve them bean & kale soup.  They love it when we roast a whole lamb over a wood fire.  I let them bring the wine!

* Work with and introduce chefs to other like-minded, local farms which produce complimentary items.  I.E. Pasture raised pork, herbs, cheese, beef, etc.  It also allows for joint deliveries which saves fuel, labor and time.

* Offer to be a consultant to chefs/restaurants for new recipes and new restaurants.  A few hours can yield a customer for life.

I look forward to hearing other's ideas.  "Necessity, who is the mother of invention."  Plato

Spinach transplants in High Tunnel - December 2010

Regards,
Mike Brabo
"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!" Psalm 34:8

Vesterbrook Farm - Certified Naturally Grown
Clarksville, Missouri - Mississippi River Bluffs, Zone 6

Copyright 2010, all rights reserved.