market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice for meeting with chefs?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:37:46 -0500

On Dec 19, 2010, at 4:50 PM, saladg AT aol.com wrote:

One of thing's that they need to understand is using fresh produce is not the same as ordering from their wholesaler/broker.  I had a chef call on Thursday wanting Micro Greens for a party on Saturday, like all I have to do is shake my wand and it is instantly growing on a tree in December,

Yes. The idea that if you want to buy it in August, you may need to talk to me about it the previous January as I may need to order seed and start plants by March takes a certain amount of education. As does the idea that it's necessary to check both what's in season usually at a given time of year, and how the particular year's weather is behaving, before promising to cook a specific item for a shindig on a particular day.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the restaurant which sat down with the farmer for a long conversation in midwinter and said they wanted to buy all sorts of stuff may not want it at all by the time it's ready.

I would also be interested in seeing advice on selling to chefs/restaurants. I'm not very good at it.