market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: thamnophis AT gmail.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:47:37 -0500

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com> wrote:
Where we are today I agree that the 2-wheel tractors would be great,
but new they are almost as expensive as a 50's Ford, for example, and
hard to find used.And we are considering renting a neighboring 2-3
acres, so having a tractor that could expand with us would be nice.

There is another several angles you may not be considering. Most 2 wheel tractors have long warranties. The one I have has only needed a new throttle cable and runs like a champ. If you eventually get larger, you can sell the two wheel off or keep it.

In trying to achieve max profit a 4 wheel tractor means a lot of unusable space to turn around, etc. With a 2 wheel you make more money on an acre.

Don't buy a 4 wheel tractor until you do have a lease on the neighboring property. I have seen these ideas and dreams fall apart too many times on leasing. Overbuying can really set you back.

Pam
SC