market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:19:53 -0500

Joe,
We bought our farm 2.5 years ago, and bought our first tractor 6
months ago, after looking for a long time. I, too, have no background
in farming so am still learning a lot.

I could not find a used walk behind, and the news ones, with
implements, were out of my price range. We finally found a 1980
Kubota B7100. Came with a front end loader, bushhog, cultivator, box
blade and tiller.

Even on gentle slopes or when working heavy soil, 4wd has been
invaluable. We keep finding uses for the loader, such as hauling
compost.
Just put up our first hoophouse, 30x72, and worked the ground up in
there with it.

Repairs, while minor, have been easier than working on my car or
truck. The mechanics at the local Kubota dealership have been great
to troubleshoot a couple of things, normal wear and tear, and talk me
through doing the repair.

Feeling my age, I can get a lot more done in a day while sitting over
4 wheels instead of walking behind a 2 wheel machine. And there've
been a number of times where pulling or pushing with this little/big
machine has saved a lot of manhandling, or having to bring in the
pickup.

We grow on just under 2 acres, and have add'l pasture and hayfield to
manage as well.
Glad to hear others thoughts on this topic as well.
Richard Moyer
Castlewood, SW VA

> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 18:42:25 -0600
> From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
> To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?
>
> Any tips or suggestions for small tractors? I don't have a farm
> background so am confused about what to look for in a used tractor.
>
> We're gardening on less than an acre and would also like to use it in
> the hoop house(s).
>
> I've seen the old Ford 8N and similar on Craigs List and also looked
> at old John Deere's etc. Prices usually in the vicinity of $3 - 6K
>
> Any guidelines that would help me understand my options?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joe Monahan
> Heavy Horses Farm
> Boone, IA
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:05:25 -0600
> From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
> To: thamnophis AT gmail.com, Market Farming
> <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?
>
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 06:42:25PM -0600, Thamnophis wrote:
>
>> Any guidelines that would help me understand my options?
>
> Diesel.
>

> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:20:02 -0600
> From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
> To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?
>
> Thanks a lot folks -
>
> Where we are today I agree that the 2-wheel tractors would be great,
> but new they are almost as expensive as a 50's Ford, for example, and
> hard to find used.And we are considering renting a neighboring 2-3
> acres, so having a tractor that could expand with us would be nice.
>
> I imagine it would also be nice to have the 4 wheel tractor for other
> farm duties - plowing snow, etc.
>
> Are the older tractors in need of constant repairs in your experience?
> Someone told me they tend to run forever.
>
> Joe
>
> On 12/11/10, Mike Brabo <mdbrabo AT att.net> wrote:
>> Joe,
>> I agree with Richard about a two wheel tractor for your size.
>>
>> Another option are the 2 wheel David Bradley walk-behind tractors.
>> http://davidbradley.net/
>> When we were starting out with 1-1.5 acres they were perfect.
>>
>> Later as we expanded to 5 acres we began using an older JD 755 3 cyl
>> diesel
>> and '49 Allis Chalmers G.

  • Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion, Richard Moyer, 12/11/2010