market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: thamnophis AT gmail.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:03:16 -0500

On Dec 11, 2010, at 7:42 PM, Thamnophis wrote:

Any tips or suggestions for small tractors? I don't have a farm
background so am confused about what to look for in a used tractor.

We're gardening on less than an acre and would also like to use it in
the hoop house(s).

I've seen the old Ford 8N and similar on Craigs List and also looked
at old John Deere's etc. Prices usually in the vicinity of $3 - 6K

Any guidelines that would help me understand my options?

A standard 3 point hitch is really useful; some very old tractors have idiosyncratic hitches that only worked with equipment made for that tractor, which can be hard to come by.

If you have any significant slope on the land, you want wide front end (the front tires spaced apart about the same as the rear tires; as opposed to triangle gear, which has the front tires centered very close together. Wide front end tractors have a greater turning radius, but they're much less likely to tip over.)

Try to find out who repairs old tractors in your area, and see whether you can get that person to look at anything you're considering buying.