market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small tractor suggestion?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:36:52 -0500

What exactly are you doing and how do you want to do it.

How much ground are you going to till?  Are you going to be doing it while other crops are in?  Lots of rotation?  Is the ground broken already?  If not how are you going to plow it?  Are you beds going to be set up for the tractor or are they going to be prepped by the tractor and then worked by hand?  What are you going to be growing?  Do you already have customer base?  What can you afford?  How are you going to run your business in terms of depreciation of equipment?

I would suggest planning out how you intend on growing.  Do you want to grow to the equipment or conform the equipment to how you grow.  There is a lot there to consider.

I would be hesitant to try and compare the two tools (medium GP tractor vs a BCS).  I could compare them to a wheel how too and it would be just about as relevant without more information.

Just some food for thought.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio