market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:21:49 -0400

I appreciate insights/what you are glad you have or wished you had.  Please don't get off on the wisdom/folly of making such a large purchase.  This is my first year with employees. I have paid over $5000 out of which 95% plus was for hand weeding.  I have got to spiff up my planting and cultivation.  We are not mechanics so have decided to get new or dealer OKd almost new, and are only going with the dealers with the best service reputations.

Thank you.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
((First the rant: I would rather have 3 decent used  2010 row crop tractors than any single

new unit they have built in the last 10 years even if they gave it to me.  ))

Small experience here is that for laying 4 foot plastic I not only needed to get out to

6 foot centers wheel spacing, but also quite narrow tires. You might want to take a poll

here and with your neighbors as to what that dimension (not just wheel spacing) between inside

of tires should be.

(asume you are at the Peru near the Finger Lakes and not the

Peru near Lake Champain)

MAsteveINE