market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fortex Pole Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fortex Pole Beans
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:28:56 -0400

Fortex is my favorite bean. I don't recall ever seeing bees around them--I'm pretty sure they are self-pollinating. Like yours, mine come a little later than the catalog number of days. Once they get going, the vines really pump out the beans. I don't know how low temps will affect production, but I seem to recall having a good crop up until an early frost last year.

Thanks for the info, Richard. I called Johnny's. It took a little while, but I was able to find out that Fortex beans do NOT require pollinators. The man at Johnny's said that no bean requires pollinators, so, I still don't know why the yellow wax beans blossoms are loaded with bees and the Fortex have zero bees, but I'll quit worrying about the lack of bees and spend more time worrying about the lack of BEANS! ;-)

Thanks again

-Allan in WV