market-farming - [Market-farming] Fortex Pole Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fortex Pole Beans
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:45:17 -0400

Market Farmers:

We planted a thousand feet of trellised FORTEX beans from Johnny's this
season.

We planted them on beds amended according to soil tests.

They are listed as maturing at 60 days, but we didn't see blossoms until last week, which was around the 75th day. I assume this is consistent with the experience of other farmers who were in hot summers this season.

The stand is not as full as we normally get from Kentucky Wonder, but it should be adequate to produce a crop of beans. (I'm also seeing some light green new vine growth coming up from the ground. I don't know what this is about, but it's probably a good thing.)

So, I have a lot of blossoming covered vine tips.

I've only had about two beans produced in the entire planting so far and a walk down the aisles doesn't reveal any bean embryos, nor does one see bees of any sort, which is strange, because our bush beans, which are also blossoming a thousand feet away are covered with bees, both domestic and wild (little bumblebees).

(I'm going to try a biodynamic honey spray on the Fortex to promote pollinators.)

I'm wondering if anyone has seen a similar sitiuation in pole beans, though.

I'm also wondering if there is anything I can do at this point (seaweed or epsom salt sprays?) to promote more blossoms or more fruit.

Also, as the nights fall closer and closer to 50 degrees, does anyone know how cold nights and diminishing daylight affect the productivity of pole beans, Fortex in particular?

Boy, those pictures of Fortex bean cluster in the catalog sure were
impressive.

Thanks

Allan in Shepherdstown