market-farming - [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:18:18 -0400

I am going to bite the bullet and get myself a tractor since DH doesn't get things done on time, and I don't like to use his JD 2010 with the funky gears plus idiosyncrasies, plus heaven forbid I might change something. I figure if I mentally spread the cost out over 5 years I can easily increase production (and time for marketing) to make up $5,000/year (So much for the rant).  I have been hemming and hawing for two years on this, trying to decide on bed/wheel spacing.  I finally settled on 6 foot last week and went shopping, expecting to find something that can be 6 feet now and moved back to 5 feet if I change my mind later.  Found some good tractors (good service dealers here are Kubota and JD) with narrower wheel spacings.  Dealers are researching how much the wheels can adjust, and whether the front tires also move out enough.

Now I am second guessing myself.  I plan to use this tractor to use the loader/forks, pull a plastic mulch layer (currently lay it by hand), pull a chisel plow occasionally, flail mower, etc (no, I don't have any of these yet), and 5 foot disk, 2-bottom plow, and 5 foot mower which we have with the 2010. I decided on 6 feet because I have an old but good Kubota B6100D (wheels 32" oc, 40 outer) and golf cart (35" oc, 41 outer) so figured 6 foot would work with those. I have a 42" aging rototiller, middle buster, and corn cultivator for the 6100. I can visualize putting planting/cultivating tools on a toolbar that would straddle two "beds", though I seldom have two rows of anything at the same stage and the same time, except late beets, carrots, etc.

I have 3 acres in veggies, another 3 in chicken pasture, another acre that should be good for veggies if it gets brush hogged/plowed/cover cropped, and more that needs improvement for pasture. Also have a hoophouse that I'd love to be able to drive the tractor into to place pallets of squash for drying, compost, etc.

As I see my options:

1. as described above, assuming the older equipment will continue to be integral to the operation, and keep everything in multiples of 3 feet to match the 6100 and golf cart.

2. use the 6100 for things that are planted in rows (potatoes, broccoli, etc) and use the new tractor for laying mulch and doing crops in beds.  For this 4 or 5 foot wheel spacing might be ideal. I planted potatoes on 4 foot spacing this year to allow more air movement.

3. other suggestions?

First day of shopping came up with the Kubota L3300 or L4400.  The 3400 is only 35 hp but is 4wd so equivalent (for a mulch layer) or 45? Dealer is checking wheel spacing adjustments on those.  John Deere dealer first recommended one in the 3000 series (I forget which one) until we realized it was narrower wheel spacing. Then he quoted one in the 4000 series, too expensive.  But, he has an absolutely loaded used (730 hours) 3720 for less than the Kubotas.  One really neat thing I found - I wanted a quick hitch system, but the dealer recommended a much less expensive alternative - telescoping arms on the 3 point hitch.  You can pull the arms out a few inches if you aren't lined up dead-center. They slide back to position and lock when you raise the implement.

I appreciate insights/what you are glad you have or wished you had.  Please don't get off on the wisdom/folly of making such a large purchase.  This is my first year with employees. I have paid over $5000 out of which 95% plus was for hand weeding.  I have got to spiff up my planting and cultivation.  We are not mechanics so have decided to get new or dealer OKd almost new, and are only going with the dealers with the best service reputations.

Thank you.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe