market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr. Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mark Weinheimer <mrw601 AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr. Question
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:17:46 -0400

I find the planet Jr. to be an adequate seeder.  It's pretty crudely constructed, and it takes a lot of watching while seeding.  I find it works best on firm seedbeds.  After forming the beds, I run down the bed with the loader bucket very lightly smoothing the surface of the bed, as I seed.  It is not a precision seeder you have to overseed and thin to get a good stand.  I think the earthway is a bit more precise, but to make consistent rows for cultivating, the planet jrs. work better for us.  On the plus side, parts are relatively cheap and readily available.
I'll chime in on the pepper question, too.  We are having a good, but not great pepper year.  We put them on plastic for the first time this year, on raised beds.  I think that saved our crop.  They are on some of our wetter ground, and June was cool and wet, here.  They started late, but are yielding pretty well, now.  One variety I haven't heard mentioned is flamingo, from Harris.  They have been our most consistent yielder for the last 4 years.  They are a yellow to orange to red variety with a nice pepper flavor when cooked.  They set lots of fruit under all conditions.  They were the only variety to set any appreciable quantity of fruit during last year's cold wet summer.  Our tomatoes were late, but great, this year.  The only real disappointment was our onions.  We grow on heavy silt loams, in the hilltowns south of Albany NY.
--
Mark Weinheimer
Farm Manager

Message: 8