market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new tractor - wheel spacing
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 05:35:21 -0700

Do you want a tractor with a 72" center to center tire tread or a tractor that will straddle a 72" wide bed?. I don't think this can be done on  compact tractors like the models you named. The older style JD's in the 38+ hp range from the 1970's used rack and pinion wheels that went out to 90 inches. The same can be done on the older Farmalls. You might want to look into an older tractor just for cultivating that is what every vegetable farm does here in S Jersey. The telescoping lower lift arms you mention are a great time and back saver... Bob.