market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Southern latitude garlic?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Southern latitude garlic?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:49:09 -0400

Hi -

I had to leave Dominica 4/15 (annual trip to U.S., re-rent house in MA, buy seeds, etc. etc.).  Before I left I pulled up a couple of the weakest puniest looking garlic plants and was happy to find small bulbs.  Not really marketable size but definitely worthwhile kitchen size.  Then got hung up here in MA and have yet to return (even though rain has started again in Dominica and it's time to be planting.  Rainy season started earlier than expected by more than a month, effectively wiping out our broccoli crop so well planned to take advantage of dry season maturation ...sigh).  My partner has harvested the balance of the garlic and spread them out to dry, but won't be pinned down to a size description by phone.  Will have to wait til I get back to see (and taste).  But that they bulbed at all is encouraging and I hope if I work with the larger bulbs, I may eventually get a strain that will reach a better market size and thrive in Dominica.  I think when I get back I'll put them in the fridge for a couple of months and see if that further encourages eventual bulb development after I plant them out next Oct-Nov.

I'd sure be glad for any other ideas/advice.

Thanks for asking.

Hope your garlic (and other) crops exceed all fidgety expectations.

All best wishes,

Karen