market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice on how to deal with losing plastic or high tunnel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice on how to deal with losing plastic or high tunnel
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:47:17 EDT

We have pulled shade cloth over everything and pulled it tight because of the wild weather, this wind event with these storms have really been a nasty last couple of weeks.  It kind of reminds me of 91 and the hearvy rains we had then, averaged 12" a week for about 5 weeks.  We are receiving around 8" for the week, 5" last night but no wind last night but that will probably change before the day is over.  The best I have found is to have enough plastic to recover your structures as fast as possible.  We always keep enough on hand to cover our buildings after a major storm, but if the structure is tore up there is really nothing you can do.  Ask Dan, he had it happen to him.  We lost one last year and there was nothing we could do with the structure was so twisted up I had to take a torch to the steel to just get it untangled so I could haul it out, the crops we a total loss, the shade cloth was intact but close to a 1/2 mile from the building.

Hey Jay the College World Series are on it always rains and storms this week, you can plan on it.  What major crowd of people we have going through the market, Saturday estimates was 2000 per hour.

We are under another flood warning this morning, 5th one this last two weeks.

Phil from Iowa