market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato Planting Suggestions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato Planting Suggestions
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:06:34 -0400

Sorry for the unclipped and long post.  I sent that out on June 6th and it just now showed up.

I have been testing to see how they are growing.  Not bad yet, but not enough to dig up for baby potatoes.

My thing is that I have them sold already.  I will quite literally not produce enough to fit those that want to buy from me.  This is my first year planting this size and everyone is quite eager to see how it works out.  My buyers want larger sizes in quantities from 200# to 1200# per delivery.  I figure three to four harvests and no storage.

We'll see how it works.  I figure I could be yielding anywhere from 2200# to 20000# depending on how mother nature works with me.  So far no beetles or larvae and mechanical weed suppression has worked well.  Right now I just need for it to stop raining.  I am worried I might start seeing them rot.  The nice thing though is that they are surface mounded rather than trenched so this is less likely a scenario since they dry out quicker.

Fingers crossed...

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio