market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Something different

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Something different
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:29:58 -0400

Kohlrabi is a super attention getter -- esp. if one has both purple and green varieties at same time.  And, because it is so good raw, you can get folks to try it by offering slices to taste at market.  Hakurei turnip, although getting more popular, also another EASY sell once folks try it raw.  And, different types of cukes -- not only the Suyo long Carla mentioned, but other Asian varieties of different looks and tastes (e.g., Ninja, Southern Delight & Crisp Winner available from Evergreen Seeds which has an astounding variety of Asian veggies & herbs -- although some treated and you can't tell before ordering), Poona Kheera,  middle Eastern varieties like Beit Alpha, sweet kid pleasers like Cool Breeze, etc.  Long bean and snake gourd -- if you have long enough season and trellis --also rapidly become favorites.  For cooler climes, Jerusalem artichokes, another sweetish/crunchy can try at market raw, ready in Fall, good for diabetics (another marketing direction) but need careful planting as they spread/proliferate so easily.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce