market-farming - [Market-farming] Advice on how to deal with losing plastic or high tunnel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Unschooler AT lrec.org, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Advice on how to deal with losing plastic or high tunnel
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 21:39:44 -0700 (PDT)

While this hasn't happened to me, yet.  We just finished our 3 or 4th rounds of storms in two days. They are calling for the same pattern for the next 4-5 days.  We have had hail, rain, tornado threats and winds in the 60-90 mph range. Luckily, we have been in the 60 range and pea to marble hail, I hope we keep getting lucky! We have had around 3 inches of rain in the last two days also.  Many have had more, 5, 6, 7 inches.

My question is this.  What advice does anyone have if you do lose your plastic or a high tunnel.  How should you deal with this problem. I know if I loose my plastic and the structure is in tact, I will be ordering and picking up more plastic. If the structure is destroyed, what should I be doing?  Will the plants adjust to the elements?  Should I try to get a structure back up ASAP? What suggestions do you have.  Like I said this hasn't happened, but I want to be prepared!

Thanks,

Jay
Where the wheat is ripe, the corn is shreaded, the wind is blowing, the rivers are flowing and the air is burning!

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com
http://highfarming.blogspot.com/