market-farming - [Market-farming] When to plant fava beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] When to plant fava beans
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:03:21 -0400

I have been planting fava beans for the past several years and have never
gotten a very good yield. This years crop looked especially promising with
a lot of bloom in May. Then a bunch of the plants turned blackish with some
yellowing of leaves and most of the bloom dried up and fell off without
setting seed. I'm thinking the past several weeks have been too hot for
favas and is the reason for the disappointing yield. I have been planting
favas in mid March, about the same time that I plant peas.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should consider planting them much earlier,
like mid February. This year this would have meant planting them through
two feet of snow. Given that I would have the ground open in mid February
or even earlier could I get away with putting them in and risking more snow
or possibly hard freezing weather? I am in zone 6.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia