market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] compost my septic sludge?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Hildreth <NanHildreth AT riseup.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] compost my septic sludge?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:28:31 -0500

When people were spread out, hunting and gathering, then not much work to deal with human waste. But cities grew and then we realized that poop was pollution, making us sicke, and so we added a cludge, that is, sewers to dump it into the river or ocean. Then we realized that was pollution so another cheap fix, adding waste treatment plants to clean it up a bit before dumping. Permaculture says we could have designed it right the first time and set up a good system that recycled our waste into plant food. It says pollution is an output not used as an input (ie. food for plants).