market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Husk Cherries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Husk Cherries
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:43:36 -0400

On 10-06-10 11:55 PM, Jay Sleichter wrote:
> Questions:
> 1) How tall will they get?
> 2) How much will they produce?

1. above have been answered already: about waist height, but they sprawl
a lot.

2. is an interesting question. I have been growing them on a small
personal scale for three years now. There are two variety: physalis
pruinosa (of which Goldie is a cultivar), and physalis peruviana.
Pruinosa is much more productive than peruviana (earlier too), but the
fruit are smaller. However, the taste of peruviana is just divine: a
rich blend of citrus and pineapple, much sweeter than pruinosa (which is
quite tart). I think it is the best annual fruit one can grow under
temperate climate. Beside the size, the fruits are practically
identical, so customer would not know the difference, but there is no
doubt I will continue to grow peruviana for myself.

Harvesting is, indeed, quite a pain. Not sure I will ever bother to
grow them commercially.