market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:31:26 -0700 (PDT)

Pam,

Thanks for the response.

Pam says,
"I'm a bit puzzled about what you say about trying to keep potatoes going till August. When did you plant them? As far as I know, potatoes have a fixed life-span, and will start to die back after a certain amount of time (depending on the variety). The ones we plant in mid March are finished in mid July. I forgot to read where you're located. maybe you planted in April?"

I am in zone 5, North Central Kansas.  I usually do 3-4 planting of potatoes.  I am a small operation, I planted 225 pounds of seed potatoes.  Potatoes sell best for me when they are the "New Potato" size.  Bigger potatoes are harder to sell at my markets.  I usually start planting around the 15-20th of March.  This year it was around April 3, due to weather and other factors. My next planting was about 3-4 weeks later and I finished up on May 15th.  My second planting is my largest planting. I usually start digging around the end of May.  Not bunches, just enough to allow customers to get a taste. To keep potatoes alive to August, in the Kansas heat, is really hard.

As soon as I can hill up the last planting (got an 1 inch of rain two nights ago) I will deep mulch and see what happens.  Last year I didn't and I had regrets.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com