market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:39:50 -0400

Jay said:
"This is my first year with drip tape on potatoes.? I have a question about mulching them with straw.? The ground is very cool and moist in the hills that I was wondering about skipping mulching the earlier potatoes.? I will start digging them in a few weeks and it seems like a waste.? I am going to mulch the later ones as I will try to keep them going until August."

Jay, I certainly wouldn't mulch potatoes I was going to dig in a few weeks, myself. Sounds like too much hard work.

I'm a bit puzzled about what you say about trying to keep potatoes going till August. When did you plant them? As far as I know, potatoes have a fixed life-span, and will start to die back after a certain amount of time (depending on the variety). The ones we plant in mid March are finished in mid July. I forgot to read where you're located. maybe you planted in April?

Given that you have drip tape, I would think that simply providing enough water would keep them alive till they decide to die anyway. The canopy will close and cover the soil, and that will reduce drying out.

Whatever you decide, how about reporting back later and sharing what happened?

Pam, Twin Oaks Community. central Virginia, zone 7