market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Husk Cherries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Husk Cherries
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:02:28 -0400

On Jun 10, 2010, at 11:55 PM, Jay Sleichter wrote:

This is the first year I have planted Husk Cherries.  I planted Goldie from Johnny's. I have a question about how big they will get.  They are about 2 feet tall now. They are planted in my cherry tomato high tunnel.  Will they grow up to 6 feet tall?  We are picking up a handful of fruits every day or so.  We only planted 4, but wish we would have planted 40!

Questions:
1) How tall will they get?

In my experience, not all that tall, but fairly wide. They sprawl all over. When I grew them they came with instructions to not stake them, just let them sprawl.

They also came, by the way, with instructions to make sure the fruit was ripe, as unripe fruit was "a powerful emetic".

2) How much will they produce?

Again, in my experience: way more than we could sell. A number of people bought a pint out of curiosity; very few bought another one. They weren't bad, they just weren't as good as all sorts of other things.

They do make a pretty good pie; but again, so do lots of other things.

We found them a nuisance to harvest, also; we don't grow them any more. Pam, what's your harvest technique? You seem to be having more success with them than we did.