market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Husk Cherries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Husk Cherries
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:01:15 -0400

On Jun 11, 2010, at 9:37 AM, Pamela Crowe wrote:

The trick on harvesting is to put tarps or plastic under them---then slightly shake the plant when you get ready to harvest. I found the pulling individual ones to be a pain, too. Yes, be careful about the colors of the husks. They can be very toxic. They really need to get a beige color to be absolutely safe.

We grew them on black plastic; to be sure they were ripe, we waited for them to fall off, then scooped them up off the plastic. Unfortunately, under the sprawling plants we always missed a few; and as the season wore on, some of those would rot: so that when you reached under the plants to scoop up the good ones, there was a fair chance of sticking your hand into a pile of rotten goo; and also, we had to pick them all over individually when packing to make sure there were no rotten ones taken to market, or any green ones that fell off anyway. It was just way too much work for what we could get for them.

You've obviously got a better market for them. Our customers would try them; then say thanks, but they'd rather buy cherry tomatoes, or other fruit in season.