market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro - basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro - basil
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 21:29:05 EDT

Rivka, when you harvest your basil this way, how far down the stem do you go?  We started harvesting basil as a cut-and-come-again earlier this year.  At first my customers were very happy to see basil so early, but then about a week after harvesting the plants I'd go back and they'd be dead or dying.  At first I though it was something unrelated but several weeks of that and genius girl here figured out that the plants just never recovered from that initial harvest.  I wonder now if I was harvesting too early in the plant's life, too far down the plant, and/or if it was just too cold out (this is the PNW after all) for them to recover before succumbing to stress and disease.  I'd rather remember this year as the year I learned how to harvest basil sustainably, rather than killing a bunch of it in vain.  :(
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 6/7/2010 6:23:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, organic87 AT frontiernet.net writes:

On Jun 7, 2010, at 7:46 PM, Sue Wells wrote:

> I have seen basil pulled out of the ground also, and the roots left
> on.
> Sue
> Vermont

We harvest from the same basil plants all season: cut them back
moderately hard, and give them two weeks to recover (we don't harvest
them all at once so there are always some ready to cut.) So we
certainly don't want to pull the basil up!

We harvest basil for bunching, with some stem; if you're harvesting
just tips, eg for clamshell packs, I expect you'd take less each time
and harvest each plant more often.