market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 21:29:35 -0400

This is the tropics, now:  On day before market, we cut just below the point where the bunches will hold together.  We can't always get to it in cool (hah!) of AM or PM and we don't have water on site for an immediate cool down.  Instead it rests in the shade for a few hours until all harvest is finished and brought to our packing site (aka house).  Then a cool down bath, maybe a little soak to rehydrate if the leaves look at all wilty.  Then we shake dry, spread out on towels (sometimes with a fan blowing) to dry further, and when dry, package into clear plastic bags.  At market, we usually have to make holes in the bags of cilantro that are on the table to keep it all from getting sweaty.  If it can stay dry inside the bag and get put into the coldest part of fridge (not squished into  more humid produce drawer) it can keep beautifully at least a week, sometimes two.  We make sure to advise out customers how best to keep it -- sometimes we have to tell them to be sure to take it out of the bag, get it dry and put into dry bag and then fridge if they want it to keep for any time.  Cilantro is a rare item in Dominica, not easy to grow there, but very desirable and we can usually sell all we can grow despite charging high price (1/2 oz for $2.50).

It helps to make sure to irrigate day before harvest.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce