market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro - basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro - basil
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 19:57:53 -0400

We also harvest from the same plant till first frost.

  All from the same plants.  Initially we cut the main vertical as far down as possible once there are 5 to 6 stems and leaves 2 to 3".  We harvested our first pound today.  At our peak we can probably harvest about 25 pounds if we had the demand and still have healthy grow back.  Having them on irrigation almost ensures a constant weekly harvest from the same plants.  It is important to have several plots or rows though for multiple harvests across the week.

We probably harvest close to 200 pounds, mainly all of it restaurant orders.  Caterers use the most up in a single order.

By the end of the season the base trunk of the basil plant is probably 1 to 2" across.  Same with our Swiss Chard.  We cut it and it never seems to bolt.  Mainly neon lights or other similar variety.  We do offer a Swiss Chard thinning of micro plants that seems quite popular at the beginning of the season.  Same with basil.

Pulling a mature plant though seems like such a waste when you can harvest so much from single a plant if properly cut.

All sort of ways to do it.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio