market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raspberries Problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raspberries Problems
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:43:33 -0500

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 06:57:06AM -0400, Owsley lucy wrote:

> We have a lot of our 4 year old raspberry canes dying. We suspect cane
> borers,
> though in one area they have never done well and that may be due to black
> walnuts being in the vicinity in the past 25 years (there are none there now
> but the raspberries are within 30' of a wooded area that probably does have
> such-we don't know because our neighbors have made it clear we are not to
> trespass on their land). The symptoms are in early spring healthy plants and
> now that is is late spring and the plants are producing berries we have
> wilt,
> leaves curling up and dropping off and eventually the canes dying back to
> the
> ground. this is happening in certain parts of the area and not other parts
> (most of the plants are healthy, but fewer than last year so whatever this
> is
> seems to be slowly spreading).

Those symptoms match anthracnose on my blackberries. Do you have
lesions on the canes? Dying spots that are 1/4"-1/2" in diameter?

The best solution is to relocate the patch, though attention to
sanitation (removing and burning old canes and sterilizing pruning
equipment between plants) may help.

After about 30 years, I am on my fourth relocation.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 90 days 2 hours 34 minutes