market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raspberries Problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raspberries Problems
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:13:56 -0400

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 06:57:06 -0400, Owsley lucy wrote:
> We have a lot of our 4 year old raspberry canes dying....The symptoms are
>in early spring healthy
> plants and now that is is late spring and the plants are producing berries
>we
> have wilt, leaves curling up and dropping off and eventually the canes dying
> back to the ground. this is happening in certain parts of the area and not
> other parts (most of the plants are healthy, but fewer than last year so
> whatever this is seems to be slowly spreading).

Are these second-year canes? If so, also consider cold or wind damage from
the previous winter. Even healthy-looking floricanes that have begin to bear
fruit can die off due to the stress from the previous winter. In any event,
cutting out and destroying is the best advice, in case it is disease.

--
Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/