market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro - basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wilting cilantro - basil
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 21:22:47 -0400

On Jun 7, 2010, at 7:46 PM, Sue Wells wrote:

I have seen basil pulled out of the ground also, and the roots left on.
Sue
Vermont

We harvest from the same basil plants all season: cut them back moderately hard, and give them two weeks to recover (we don't harvest them all at once so there are always some ready to cut.) So we certainly don't want to pull the basil up!

We harvest basil for bunching, with some stem; if you're harvesting just tips, eg for clamshell packs, I expect you'd take less each time and harvest each plant more often.