market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Earthway Push Seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Earthway Push Seeder
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:46:18 -0400

On Apr 23, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Richard Stewart wrote:

As to the Earthway (same thread different post), I think they are junk.

Been using an Earthway here for over twenty years. Suits me fine.

The Earthway is not a super precision seeder, but it works in moderately rough and rocky soil, which I gather most of the precision seeders won't; and it's easy to empty and refill, useful for a grower like me who may be planting 3 different varieties, or even 3 types of seed, in one row, and something entirely different in the next row. I do all my direct seeding with it except for crops on a very wide spacing, such as winter squash (which I now do from transplant anyway as my planting window between soil-too-cold and too-late-in-season-to- ripen is some years about an hour and a half), and those few crops I direct seed in plastic, which I do so little of that I just put them in by hand.

I did eventually learn to clean the Earthway well at least once a year; greatly reduces the seed jamming up while planting.