market-farming - [Market-farming] European Push Seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] European Push Seeder
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:54:10 -0500

We purchased this European Push Seeder from Johnny's this spring:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6697-european-push-seeder.aspx
$295 plus $32 shipping

It dropped seed unpredictably--three seeds in one spot, then no seeds for a foot or two, etc. The instructions that came with it were absolutely useless. Johnny's sent an instruction supplement that told you what seed plate to use with which seeds, but it only listed a very few kinds of seeds. Johnny's suggested settings did not seem to correspond with the instruction manual and fiddling around with both didn't seem to make a difference. Even where it seemed to drop seed, germination was terrible and, when they did germinate, they were late, leading me to think it planted seed too deep...which I realize could be user error, but depth was pretty hard to adjust--especially on the smaller seeds.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this seeder and if they had similar luck with it or if this is user error? Almost all of our seeds are in for this year. We're going to fiddle with it a bit more before deciding whether to send it back or not.

--Leslie