market-farming - [Market-farming] Spuds in Boxes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Spuds in Boxes
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:36:09 -0400

Marketers -

On a lark, I want to grow some some potatoes in boxes this season.

The set up is a 16x16 frame with 8 inch planks that are attached as the plants grow. Plants are covered with soil with each row of planks until the box is 4 ft tall.

I understand that fingerlings work best in this environment.

In my reading on this, I get that I should see any where from 1 potato to a seed potato every 6 inches in all directions (in the box)

I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with this method or things like growing spuds in old tires can advice to how densely to seed the boxes.

Thanks

-Allan in WV where we garden for entertainment..sometimes