market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BCS rotary plow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BCS rotary plow
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:26:55 -0400

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:50:57 +0000, Michael Libsch wrote:

> 1) I am wondering if anyone has experience with the BCS-mounted rotary
> tiller. If so, does it work well for turning in cover crops and preparing
> raised beds? And, would it be possible to turn a compost pile with this
> implement?

Do you mean the rotary plow? The rotary plow apparently does a nice job of
making raised beds--I think you can see these on Youtube, or on the
earthtools website. I have a DVD of their videos, and it is impressive. I
have the rototiller, not the plow, and it does not make raised beds by
itself, although I believe you can buy a furrower thingy that pushes the dirt
to the side as it is tilled, making up half a bed. The tiller works great for
turning in cover crops (though it's a good idea to chop up long growth first
so it doesn't wrap up around the tiller tines). The depth is not sufficient
to turn a compost pile. You might be able to do that with a rotary plow,
although I wonder if it would be able to reach in far enough to do much.
(BTW, I saw one of the commercial compost turners at a facility near here--it
is essentially a big rototiller, with about a six-foot ground clearance. The
tines move through the pile about a foot off the ground. The operator said
that on turning day, they lock the gates to keep people out--a few too many
rocky projectiles spitting out the back, apparently!)

> Please let me know if this e-
> mail is not the correct format.

If you get the digest, it's always a good idea to change the subject line to
match your actual topic.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/