market-farming - [Market-farming] Transplanting leggy Zucchini into High Tunnel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Transplanting leggy Zucchini into High Tunnel
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:44:56 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know why, but my zucchini I am getting ready to transplant this week are a little leggy.  About 2.5 to 3 inches tall. I started them in the basement and as soon as they started to germinate the went under the lights and when they were all up I put them out in the high tunnel greenhouse.  They have full sun and are growing great. They are only 2 weeks old and ready to go.

My question is this.  Do I plant them a little deep to cover up some of that longer stem or will I run the risk of the stem rotting if I do that?  Last year I had a similar problem, but I don't remember what I did and I didn't write it down (big mistake!).

I know that cucumbers and zucchini don't transplant well, but I am willing to take that chance to try to get a jump on the season.  Last year we had cucumbers and zucchini by the end of May.

Jay

Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com
http://highfarming.blogspot.com/