market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 87, Issue 47

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Michael Libsch <mmlibsch AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 87, Issue 47
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:50:57 +0000

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike. I am new to the Market Farming Digest which seems like a wonderful forum. I am also new to listserves. Please let me know if this e-mail is not the correct format.

I am currently working as an apprentice in California and hope to return to the North East this fall to rent a small piece of farm land (about an acre) to grow organic vegetables. I would like to ask the forum 2 questions.

1) I am wondering if anyone has experience with the BCS-mounted rotary tiller. If so, does it work well for turning in cover crops and preparing raised beds? And, would it be possible to turn a compost pile with this implement?

2) I hope to grow greens in the hoop house during the colder months of the year. I have recently read that winter greens may have high concentrations of nitrates which can be converted into dangerous nitrites. According to a couple of articles, using compost instead of high N fertilizers, harvesting in the afternoon, and cutting off old leaves can help to reduce nitrate levels in winter vegetables. My question, though, is are these practices sufficient to reduce nitrate levels in winter greens to safe levels?

Thank you for your input. Happy spring,

Mike