market-farming - [Market-farming] Limnophila Aromatica / Rice Paddy Herb

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Limnophila Aromatica / Rice Paddy Herb
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:23:44 -0500

Was wondering if anybody is growing this plant as a food crop? Here is a
link <http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126752/>. We brought in some plugs
in 2" pots a few weeks back. After they recovered from the shipping trauma,
they perked up and really looked great. Then they started showing dried
brown spots on the ends of the leaves. We up-potted them to 4" pots thinking
they might be outgrowing there pots, but in transplanting learned they hadn't
developed too heavy a root system for the 2" pots. They appear to be holding
steady, but I'm concerned about the brown leaf ends.

Anybody have any experience with these? First we thought maybe we're keeping
them too wet, as we are keeping them wetter than most of the other usual
suspects grown in these areas (tomatoes, peppers, etc.). But then in looking
into it more, looks like these plants are actually grown under water, in
aquariums and such, so maybe we're not keeping them wet enough.

Any ideas?

Laurie - zones 7&8 where after weeks of too wet fields it has gloriously
dried out and we have more field work than we can possibly do. Life is good.

  • [Market-farming] Limnophila Aromatica / Rice Paddy Herb, Barking Cat Farm, 04/19/2010