market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:06:11 -0400

According to studies by Ohio State University, people will pay a premium for
local before or more than they will pay for organic.

I believe it is this erroneous thinking that these people are hoping to educate the public through. (In our experience, the public already assciates 'local' so totally wiht 'organic' that they are not answering the question as it is asked, thinking that all local food is organic, they don't want to go out of their way for imported (from California) organic. ) I Just saw Pollan on a live stream from a MD university. He said a couple of different ways 'Organic junk food is still junk food' "The word 'organic' is not a blessing for our health, it's just less toxins put into us and into our environment.' and so on.