market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:22:06 -0400

>this thing is scary!

I don't see a problem with these questions at all. In fact, I think it's a very responsible way for consumers to educate themselves. Having a flyer to give out where these questions are answered could "presell" potential buyers while growers are waiting on other customers. (These are very similar to the same questions I ask when I'm buying from the farmer's market.)

I don't see where the disconnect comes unless you're a conventional grower. Then I can see where it might step on toes, but this isn't about feeding the nation, it's about individuals doing what they can to feed themselves as responsibly as possible, and could be a boon for small growers whose only market is local.

And no this isn't drawing a line in the sand between conventional ag and all other forms represented on this list.

Liz