market-farming - [Market-farming] hoophouse construction questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] hoophouse construction questions
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:31:39 -0400

Hi all,

I joined this group recently and have been very impressed with the quality of information and the general tone of the discussion. We operate a diversified organic farm in Western Quebec, Canada, marketing primarily 3-4 acres of fresh vegetables into Ottawa via farmers markets, stores, home delivery services, restaurants, and daycares. Now the reason for this posting:

I’ve purchased hoops and purlins that were once a 20’ x 100’ hoophouse (26 hoops at 4’ spacing), but need some advice on how to anchor them and set them up. First question: one hoophouse or two or more? My beds are 250’ long, so that’s not a limitation, but I’m debating using one for early and late greens and another for peppers and tomatoes, or making it/them portable. Which leads to question #2: how to hold them in place? The hoops are semi-circular, 1.5” diameter thin-walled round steel tubing, with quarter-inch holes drilled through each end about 2” off the ground and again at 14” (and another higher up for the purlins). The guy I bought them from suggested bolting 2x6s on edge to the bottom so they would slide along the ground if desired. We’re in a fairly windy location, so if I did that, I’d probably still need to drive in anchors at a few points. Lastly, any ideas on quick and easy (and cheap) endwalls?

Any ideas/experience/resources would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm

24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0

email: rob AT songberry.ca

web: www.songberry.ca

facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"