market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Florida Weave

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Florida Weave
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:14:55 -0500

Greetings,
We use concrete remesh, in two rows about 3 ft apart. We plant a double row of tomatoes just next to the remesh, 32 in a 4x25 bed. I have bamboo that I add to the remesh as horizontal support, so plants don't blow over in high winds. 90mph+ have hit my garden with out problems. Yes, I do have to do some tieing up, but not much. Easy to pick, easy to reuse next year. Works for us. This year we have over 800 tomatoes going in.
Bright Blessings,
Kim

cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
We stake and weave just like Harriet says, except we use rebar in between plants. T-posts on each end of the row, and since our rows are long we put another t-post in about every 15 plants or so. Personally, I hate it! Cages are so much easier. Put them on and your done. It's a little more work upfront I suppose, but it sure beats trying to find the time to go tie tomatoes when a million other things need to be done. We're doing about 650 tomatoes this year, and we have cages for 500. So... Unless I can get more cages made between now and then, we'll be staking and weaving. And, just for fun, the weatherman says to expect blizzard like conditions on Saturday! I've got half the potatoes planted, and the other half will have to wait.
Carla
Perkins, OK