market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hoophouse construction questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: "rob AT songberry.ca, Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hoophouse construction questions
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:42:10 -0400

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:31:39 -0400, Rob Wallbridge wrote:

> I’ve purchased hoops and purlins that were once a 20’ x 100’ hoophouse (26
> hoops at 4’ spacing), but need some advice on how to anchor them and set
>them
> up. First question: one hoophouse or two or more?

Non-powered ventilation will be easier if the houses are shorter. A rule of
thumb I've read is a length no more than 3x width. But if you have roll-up
sides, that may be a moot point.

> Which leads
> to question #2: how to hold them in place? The hoops are semi-circular, 1.5”
> diameter thin-walled round steel tubing, with quarter-inch holes drilled
> through each end about 2” off the ground and again at 14” (and another
>higher
> up for the purlins).

These were probably meant as bolt holes for a 2x12 base board, for attaching
the poly. The bottom one might also have been for bolting to a ground post.

> The guy I bought them from suggested bolting 2x6s on
> edge to the bottom so they would slide along the ground if desired.

You might also consider angle iron, with the hoops bolted to the upright
angle. I'd be afraid the 2x6 on edge would sink into the ground pretty fast,
and may provide more friction than the angle iron. if your house will be
mobile, you will probably want to beef up the cross bracing to keep the bows
from splaying.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/