market-farming - [Market-farming] Florida Weave

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Florida Weave
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:11:07 -0700 (PDT)

I'm looking at all the photos of the Florida Weave and none of them are quite like what I am doing.  I do use a post just every other tomato plant.  When I weave, I weave, that is, in front of one plant and then behind the next, then around the pole and in front and behind, then come back the opposite way.  If I don't weave them in and out, they fall into each other too much, which they can do anyway.  having a post for each tomato would be great too, but lots more work and I make do with two plants per post.

I use 6 foot locust stakes I got from Nolt's, but can't get anymore from them the last couple years.  The untreated wooden stakes I got last year just broke way too easily. I've actually got locust stakes from five years ago that I'm still using, so if you can get those, they are great.

That last post at the end of the row should be a good strong T-post.  There is a lot of weight at the end of each row.  It is a real drag when the row slumps down because the wooden stake at the end of the row broke.  Very hard to fix too, especially by yourself.  doing the weave every 8 to 10 inches of growth is ideal and suckering them pretty hard every week too.  I try really hard to weave and prune just about every week.

Taller posts would be nice too for some of the heirlooms especially.  I'd like to use 7 or 8 foot T posts, but can't afford them.