market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad mix
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:19:53 GMT

It has been a weird winter. Our typical first frost would be around
Halloween, and 2009 it was more like Thanksgiving, or a little later. We will
usually have 3 or 4 days of really bitter cold, then several days of temps in
the 50's. It will do that off and on until spring is here. This winter, it
got bitter cold and seemed to stay that way forever! All the stuff we
normally do in the winter (like plowing) didn't get done this/last year. It
was too cold.( And, we are wimpy) I walked the field again this afternoon and
you can see a very definite line of where these unseen critters are and are
not. Why there is a difference is beyond me. Our big field is 200' wide and
500' long. Split that nearly down the middle and one side has all the damage,
and other side none.
I can see new little buds where leaves are trying to come out and none were
chewed up last night so I know the pepper spray is working. Love that stuff!
My husband is from east Texas. My son and I will be outside in a t-shirt and
hubby will have his coat on. If it's not 90 he's cold. That is where the
wimpy comes from!
Carla
Perkins, OK